Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Western Classical Piece Reflection #3 and #4

Continuation of composition

In this lesson I managed to add on a few sections to my composition. However, I did not finish as much as I planned to do. This is because my laptop wasn’t charged properly, so I spent the beginning 10-15 minutes of the lesson arranging myself, finding a charger and charging my laptop. So for next time, I definitely need to be more organized and work on my time management. But to keep things on a positive note, I still managed to learn and play my piece into the virtual keyboard on garage band. I was really worried about how this would work out before, but it turned out quite successful. I continued from where I left on last lesson. I researched and found a bass drop that matched perfectly to this composition and built up the tension while still maintaining that relaxing sensation from the original “Allegro” piece by Muzio Clementi. I found it quite difficult to play the section of the original piece, so I slowed down the tempo and changed the style of the tune to swing. So that the notes follow an easy pattern of ‘Long, Short, Long, Short’. Then I changed the instrument from piano to organ, so that it’s completely transformed. I wanted to ensure that the piece was changed as this is what will show my developing skills and creativity- since these two components will affect my grades. This is played for 8 bars.

At the same time, one of the leading tunes I played in the beginning are repeated again as it ties in with the section of the “Allegro” piece and it eradicates that detachment feeling as it’s repeating a similar tune from the beginning. From the 5th bar of my swing style organ tune, there’s a transition sound effect like the sound ‘swoosh’. This leads into an acoustic guitar playing the notes E F F F. This was played on the virtual keyboard provided by garage band and then I changed the sound to an acoustic guitar to portray diversity. This is played for 4 bars. Right after these 4 bars of acoustic guitar, the same electric piano is placed. It consists of the notes C A G F E D C. Then 4 bars of the main leading tune which was placed initially is placed here and from the second bar of this tune the electric piano comes in again. As you can tell from my composition, I have repeated bars of my piece to make the listeners feel a sort of connection to it as if they are beginning to understand it. The figure below displays all the incorporated sections from this lesson. 



Here's a link of what I've done so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMgwMd3f4RM

Final Composition 

This was the last lesson for our compositions and I successfully managed to complete it. I quite satisfied with my composition as I’m proud of the fact that I started off knowing nothing about this software or anything, but now I can walk away confident and with better knowledge. However, I never knew that the maximum that can be composed on Garage Band was 42 bars. This was quite upsetting for me to discover as I had fresh ideas coming in and I wanted to incorporate them. But however, due to the length constraints, that was not in order. Continuing on from where I left off, I added a beat called aurora beat when the lead tune comes in nearing the end. This was taken from one of the loops given. It’s a very interesting to listen to as it has a different rhythm. And the 4th bar of the aurora beats are met with the transitional “swoosh” sound used to fill up the space and create easy movement from one instrument to the other. Then when the piece concludes there is a melodic descending riff. It fits perfectly with the key and ends on the tonic. Finally, the laser transitional sound completes the piece. I think I have successfully transformed the piece “Allegro”, as I changed the style and sound. This has made it sound massively different from the original piece, which was my goal. I’ve put more than sufficient effort to construct my composition. I’ve developed several skills that associate with using this form of technology and software.

Here's a link of my final piece: (The quality is not that good as I had a bit of trouble exporting the file)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coOnfkEmTEY 

1 comment:

  1. Well done! You have indeed accomplished a great deal with this task. I am not sure why GarageBand inferred there was a limit... I didn't think there was. Check into that. It might just be a glitch, or the software version that you have is not the full version. A shame though as your piece shows great creativity. Using excerpts from the score to show the melodic lines you are taking, or the chords you have chosen to use would help your listener. You could then also show/explain the changes you have made with more clarity. A good piece of work though. Well done.

    ReplyDelete