Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Western Classical Piece Transformation Reflection #2

Learning Garage Band and Initiating my Composition


In the second lesson, I was quite productive as I discovered how to use Garage Band- this was quite a difficult and time consuming task as Garage Band is quite complicating software to use, especially for beginners like me. I watched several tutorials and mastered the software of Garage Band. Below is a picture showing an example of what Garage Band looks like.  The most difficult part for me in learning to use Garage Band was learning to structure the instrument and sounds and how to fade sounds. This is quite a confusing task as there are several aspects and conditions to follow. I wouldn’t say that I have mastered the art of this software as I still fine it hard to use.














Additionally, I also began my piece. But I obviously didn’t get through much of it as I was focusing on understanding how the software works first. I starting by listening to other remixes for inspiration and what they all had in common was they all started with a leading tune. This tune has to be interesting and captivating as this is what attracts the listeners from the beginning. So I began by setting the key to D minor as this is the key of “Allegro”. Then I followed up by changing the tempo to 120 beats per minute and a time signature of 4/4. The tune that initiates and repeats through my composition is the Synth chords of Dm F Em Dm. Then by pressing “command/ control and then K”, this virtual keyboard pops up. I changed the sound to an electric piano so that sound is modified from the original. I played the notes C A G F E D C just to add more layers and thicken the texture of my composition. Then I continued on by adding a techno 2 techno build-ups, they are all in the same chord sequence but just with different sounds and patterns. But together when played, they sound interesting. By adding these two tunes, I have again thickened the texture and created tension towards the bass drop I want to place next. However, I did not sufficient time this lesson to add it, so I left it at that. But I am still proud of myself for accomplishing a lot in our lesson today- I learnt how to use garage band and I made a good start on my composition.


Here's a link of what I've done so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEpG012ow0w


1 comment:

  1. Well done. A good record of your progress so far. It might be a good idea to post a link to the original piece also so your blog reader has a reference point for your transformation.

    ReplyDelete