Thursday, May 5, 2016

Film Music Composition + Arrangment #1

Brainstorming and finalizing ideas

For this project, we are required to transform a film music composition. We can perform it, arrange it different or do a composition. The piece I have chosen to transform is the Mission Impossible theme song by Danny Elfman. This is quite similar to the classical piece transformation except this is with film music. Since I already used the idea of making a DJ remix, I don’t want to reuse it. But I have brainstormed 3 fresh ideas for this project. The first one is to diversify the piece by adding more instruments and augmenting the orchestrations, then completing it by composing my own lyrics following the melody line. This would be a very interesting idea to use, as it would express my twist on this piece and showcase my creativity in the lyrics. My second idea was to compose my own piece inspired by this tune for the trailer of Mission Impossible or any scene from the movies. And my final idea was to change the culture of the song to Indian, by changing the rhythm, instruments and adding little aspects I’ve heard in Indian songs. From all these brainstormed ideas, I have chosen to pursue my third idea. This is due to several reasons. First of all, I can’t exactly use my first idea because I don’t have the right recording equipment, it’s available in the music room but then I only have limited school time to work on it. Secondly, because changing the culture of the song is a very creative idea, and not many would end up doing this as it’s quite challenging. Not only that, it demonstrates my creativity and my cultural expression which is one of the global contexts.

Below is a table that evaluates the idea, portraying the advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages
Disadvantages
Demonstrates creativity
Time consuming
Allows me to express my culture
Difficult task to structure 
Developing new skills

Diversity in my composition

Can display a variety of instruments, textures, and harmonies


As the table above demonstrates, the advantages of using this idea of transforming the culture of the mission impossible theme song, clearly weigh out the disadvantages and strengthening my choice for this project. 

This is a link of the original piece that I will be transforming: 
Mission Impossible Theme Song 

However, this idea is an arrangement. By doing an arrangement, the highest mark that you can score is a level 6. I wanted to aim for a higher grade so I thought I could try and do my third idea of composing my own composition for a scene from the movie. So I am extending myself and will try to complete both tasks. Since we have 6 lessons, I have devised my time to spend 3 lessons on each composition. 

For my composition I will compose a composition for the following video. 
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Diagon Alley

This is from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and it is the scene from when Harry first goes to Diagon Alley. This scene has a very magical touch to it, so it will be quite interesting to compose for. I chose to compose for a different film because Mission Impossible wouldn't really portray a more creative side to a composition, I want to display my ability in working with different genres, so this is why I chose to create a composition for this scene. 

1 comment:

  1. I like how you have thought about your global context as you have brainstormed your ideas. I also like that you are taking into account the marking criteria. Both ideas sound great & I am looking forward to hearing them.

    ReplyDelete