Monday, May 9, 2016

Film Music Arrangement #2

Initiating my Arrangement

In the second lesson, I was quite productive as I reached halfway through my arrangement. I initiated the lesson by listening to other indian versions of Mission Impossible for inspiration. There weren't that many clips on it, as it was quite a rare arrangement. But what I synthesised from all of these clips were that there was heavy use of the sitar as an instrument and more cultural beats like the tabla. This was primarily my starting point, as my ideas started to flow once I decided how to revolve my arrangement around these 2 aspects. There were 3 instruments that I used to begin and firstly start the piece to insinuate a sort of Indian atmosphere. They key is in Dm and the tempo is 100 played on a 4/4 time signature. I started the piece by playing a low octave D to a higher octave D while sustaining the note (played by sitar). Then used strings to play the note D E D, and overlapped it with the flute playing the notes A B D B A. This sequence was repeated for 3 bars, but it was more of crescendo, so it got louder in each bar, to diminish any repetitive feeling. Then added a small pause for suspense that dropped the beat with the tabla. This is different from the original as it portrays a different kind of rhythm. This is when the famous tune of Mission Impossible comes in, it is very familiar tune so it will definitely turn heads but however it is manipulated and is played using the instrument veena. This instrument produces a plucked string sound and is used mostly in Carnatic and Hindustani classical music. 

This is a screenshot of my garage band portraying all that I have done so far: 



These are my references:
http://piano.about.com/od/Tempo-Terms-Glossary/tp/Tempo-Glossary_A-D.htm 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuit3YrokuU 

1 comment:

  1. Why play the sustained D on the sitar? Is it not part of the Indian tradition to play the home note as a drone on a tambura freeing up the sitar to play the raga/melodic line? I follow your description & can see you garageband 'graph' but this is music... We should be listening to it.

    ReplyDelete