Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Film Music Composition #4

Initiating the composition

This was the first lesson to work on my composition. I was very excited to compose my piece of music as I wanted to show dimension and diversity in my skill- as the clip am I composing for is of a different genre. In the previous project, I already composed a DJ remix composition. This time I want to show even more flexibility to my skills by composing to this clip. This is a link of the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-WEzhyc3DY It is from the Harry Potter Diagon Alley scene. It is the first time Harry meets eyes with the world of magic, he has several mixed emotions bubbling inside of him: excitement, astonishment, confusion, shock and many more. And I wanted to capture all these an intense yet riveting piece- which is hopefully what I'll achieve. 

I spent today's lesson figuring out how to mute the audio for the video and compose my music over. My initial plan was to download the youtube video onto desktop by transferring the video into an app called ClipGrab. Then I would insert the video onto iMovie, and select the entire video by dragging the mouse across it in the 'my media' section. And above the preview video section, the voice control icon is what I would have used to mute the sound. Lastly, all I would have to do would be to add the video to the section in which you edit the content selected and upload the video into a file on the desktop. However, there was a much, much easier version to achieving this task. All I did was download the video and then import the video in garage band. From there on, it was really easy, as all I did was mute the sound of the original video and begin composing over it. 

In today's session, right after I figured out the technical elements, I decided to make a start on this piece. It's in the key of E minor and is in the tempo of 120 with a 4/4 time signature. I decided to begin the piece with an interesting leading melody to envelope the listeners into my piece. I used the instrument of bells to recreate a sort of ethereal yet magical atmosphere. The notes I used were Eb F# Bb (High octave) Eb. I held the first note and added in each of the notes after 2 beats to texturise and create an echoing illusion. Right after this, I tried to include a sound effect for the bricks when they arrange themselves and unleash the secret passage to diagon alley. This was the first sound effect I included so far. I wasn't really that interested to include that many sound effects because it ruins the melodic touch to the composition. Then right after the orchestral instrument of the trumpet joins in for a rich touch. It plays the same notes Eb F# Bb (High octave) Eb using the same canon technique but in a lower octave. In sync with the trumpet, percussion from a tambourine is played for a lighter feeling. This is a screenshot of what my garage band looks like so far: 

1 comment:

  1. Again, I think you need to be using musical notation to show your melodic lines. You can export your GarageBand files as MIDI files & then open them up in Sibelius. You will need to edit them once exported, but the essence of what you have done is there. Again, there are tutorials or I can show you.

    ReplyDelete